So your web designer just handed you an HTML file for your fancy new email signature, and now you’re trying to figure out how the heck to get it into Outlook! There’s no option to upload an HTML file, you say!
You would be correct! Microsoft has made it much more complicated if you want to use a custom html email signature in Outlook 2013. Fortunately, we have you covered. Here’s the step-by-step process for getting your new signature installed.
Before you can install your signature you first need to be able to view hidden files:
- Open up your File Explorer (Windows Key + E)
- Double click on your hard drive (Usually OS (C:) for most users)
- Click on the View tab at the top.
- At the top-right, click on Options, then select “Change Folder and Search Options”.
- The Folder Options dialog box should have popped up. Click on the View Tab.
- Mark the option that says “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”.
- Make sure the option that says “Hide extensions for known file types” in unchecked.
- Hit the Apply button, then hit Ok.
Now you should be ready to install the signature.
- Make sure you still have the File Explorer opened to your hard drive. If not, follow steps 1 and 2 above.
- Navigate to Users/[Your User Name]/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Signatures
- Drop your HTML signature file into this folder.
- If your HTML file ends with the file extension .html then it needs to be changed to .htm. Right-click on your HTML file and select Rename, then change the file extension to .htm
- Open Outlook 2013. If you already had Outlook running you may need to close it and re-open.
- Click on File, then Options, then Mail, then click on the Signatures button.
- You should see your new signature file in the list in the “Select signatures to edit” box. The name of the signature will be the same as your HTML file name. Your signature may not look correct in the preview area, but do not worry! This is perfectly normal so don’t try to make any alterations.
- Make sure you choose your signature in the “New messages” and “Replies/forwards” select menus.
- Click Ok until you are all the way out of the pop-ups.
- Click New Email to view your new signature.
That’s it! Your new signature is now installed! Wooohooo!